Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Around the Horn: Ben

What position do you like to play?
In high school I was a catcher, but one day I realized that I was spending my time squatting uncomfortably, wearing hot equipment and getting foul tips in the balls while my teammates were all, like, playing baseball. Screw that. Now my favorite positions are shortstop, left field (because it's fun to while away the hours in the green grass on a Summer's day) and the bleachers at Midway Stadium in St. Paul, Minn., with two beers smuggled into the stadium in my socks.

Your softball role model:
My softball role models are Kent Hrbek and Hrbek the rock band.

Thing you like most about Buttermilk Softball:
I like hanging with the buds, I like drinking the brews, I like the pretty blue sky and the pretty trees. I like fielding grounders, line drives and watching Jesse casually catch fly balls while talking on his phone. I like watching the sun set out the windows of the bar. Those are all my favorite.

Thing you like least about Buttermilk Softball:
I really hate it when I pop out. Seriously, that sucks.

What do you do in the off-season?
In the offseason I ride the subways, feeling cold. Last offseason I taught 12-year-old kids from Bensonhurst how to play guitar and flag football.

Complete this sentence: The highlight of my Buttermilk Softball career was
when...

...I came to bat during my favorite Modest Mouse song. It was like I was playing myself in the movie of my life, directed by me. Then I hit an 8-run homer. When I say "8 run homer", I mean, "groundball".

No comments: